JULY 20, 2011 by Ogletree Abbott

When you are injured on the job in the maritime industry, you need to seek the advice of a maritime attorney. It does not matter if your injury is minor or not – you should still consult with an attorney for advice. You could be entitled to a variety of compensations, including lost wages, future lost wages, medical expenses, and future medical expenses. A qualified attorney will know what to do to ensure that you get the money you deserve. A qualified maritime attorney is not afraid to fight for your rights, even if it means going to trial and arguing your case in front of a jury.
One seaman hired a qualified maritime attorney to assist him after a maritime accident. The seaman was injured when he was walking on a dock. There was an opening on the dock that was not marked so the seaman did not see it. He fell into the unmarked opening and hurt his knee. The knee injury was so severe that he required surgery. Even after the surgery, he was left unable to return to work in the maritime industry. The seaman contacted a maritime law firm for advice about his situation.
After careful evaluation of the maritime accident and the resulting injury, the attorney confirmed what the seaman thought – a maritime claim was needed. The claim was filed against the owner of the dock for failure to safely mark the opening on the dock. This dangerous situation was a ticking time bomb, just waiting for someone to fall. Had the opening been properly labeled, the seaman would not have fallen and he would still be able to work in his chosen profession. The negligence of the dock owner led to the seaman losing the only livelihood that he knew.
Thanks to the skill and expertise of his maritime attorney, the seaman’s case was settled quickly and out of court. The final settlement was for $500,000. With this money, the seaman is able to provide for his living expenses and medical expenses while he attempts to find another means of earning an income. If you, or someone you know, have suffered a maritime accident and injury, contact an attorney for advice. You, too, could be entitled to compensation and you need an attorney that is willing to go the distance to ensure that you receive a fair settlement.


no comments

Comments are closed.