AUGUST 15, 2011 by Ogletree Abbott

Being the victim of a Jones Act accident cannot only be a painful situation, it can be a stressful situation, too. The stress can stem from an employer refusing to pay maintenance and cure. When an injured seaman cannot work and has no way to pay their expenses, things can quickly fall apart in the seaman’s life. Jones Act attorneys assist injured seaman in filing claims to recoup their losses. Jones Act claims help an injured seaman seek compensation for injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and more. If you have doubts about filing a claim, speak with a Jones Act attorney for professional advice.

An offshore seaman was the victim of a recent Jones Act accident. The seaman was working on an offshore platform at the time of the accident. A crane malfunctioned and a large piece of the crane broke loose and swung toward the seaman. The piece struck the seaman and caused various back injuries, including fractured vertebrae. The injuries were quite severe and the seaman was unable to work while his body healed. He also had to undergo back surgery to repair some of the damage. The seaman decided to consult with a Jones Act law firm about the accident.

Under the advice of his Jones Act attorney, the seaman filed a claim against his employer. The attorney argued that the employer was negligent in the upkeep of the equipment. The crane should have been inspected and necessary repairs should have been made, repairs that would have prevented the piece from breaking loose. The seaman’s Jones Act attorney and the employer were able to reach a settlement agreement out of court for $725,000. The settlement covered the lost wages and medical expenses incurred by the seaman after the Jones Act accident.

When a Jones Act accident occurs, the best thing for you to do is seek advice from a qualified attorney. An experienced lawyer will help you obtain the financial compensation you deserve. It does not matter how big or small the accident is or how minor or severe your injuries are – if you are entitled to compensation, a Jones Act attorney can help you. Do the right thing and protect yourself by retaining an attorney for your case.

no comments

Comments are closed.