Jones Act Attorney Settles Nerve Damage Claim

NOVEMBER 30, 2011 by Ogletree Abbott

Choose Your Jones Act Attorney Wisely

Your Jones Act attorney should be your most trusted ally during your maritime claim. After being injured in a maritime accident, it can be hard to know who you should trust. You should always be able to trust your attorney to help you make the best decisions. Your lawyer should always have your best interests in mind and should work for you, not against you. When you choose a Jones Act attorney, make sure you choose one that has a reputation for being trustworthy, as well as being experienced and successful in the courtroom.

Jones Act Attorney Handles Severe Cut Claim

When S. Shelby, a worker out of Louisiana, was employed in the kitchen of a vessel, she never thought she would need a Jones Act attorney – but she did. Ms. Shelby suffered a severe injury while performing her regular duties. Ms. Shelby was working in the kitchen, preparing meals for the crew, when the vessel lost power. Unable to see what she was doing, Ms. Shelby stopped her work. However, her superior, believing that the power would quickly be restored, insisted that she continue working. Struggling to see in the darkened kitchen, Ms. Shelby cut her hand – to the bone. After seeking treatment for her injury, she contacted a Jones Act attorney for advice.

Ms. Shelby’s Jones Act attorney did not hesitate to file a claim. Clearly, Ms. Shelby was working in an unsafe environment when she was forced to work in the dark. She should have been allowed to wait until power was restored. The cut was so deep that she suffered permanent nerve damage, making it impossible for her to return to her position as a cook – she needed the ability to use her hand and she no longer had full use. Her Jones Act attorney negotiated a settlement for $1.2 million for lost wages, future lost wages and medical expenses.

Call Your Jones Act Attorney for Advice

If you have been hurt due to an employer’s negligence, you need to call a Jones Act attorney for advice. You could have a financial claim on your hands and your attorney will help you. If a claim is filed, you need good legal representation, so call an experienced Jones Act attorney today.

no comments

Comments are closed.